Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Self Evaluation 2

My regular readers can skip this post unless for some reason you are wildly interested in how I rate my blog for my science communication class.


I have kept up what I started with since my last evaluation. Before, I graded myself as an A. I believe I have improved greatly since then in several ways.

1. My posts (with a few exceptions) are getting shorter. Length was always a problem, but I am now trying to break down my posts to a much less intimidating length (This includes this post!)
2. My recent posts have focused more on application than just teaching quantum mechanics, and I'm trying to keep this up while still fulfilling my original purpose statement.
3. I have received a good amount of feedback, and this has certainly has shaped my blog. I have had several outside readers, and have been promoting my blog outside of the class (I have significantly more viewers from outside sources than CommForge!). My posts have been put up on Facebook, and have gotten several commenters from there. As a result of people searching Google for my topics, I've gotten both views and comments from people I have never met.
4. I recently brought up a controversial topic (and tried to approach in a non-offensive neutral way). I received 22 comments (some were mine, though.) on this post, and the comments were very lengthy. The majority of the discussion was from viewers outside of the class.
5. I'm adding more controversial/discussion-rousing topics to my blog and as a result getting more discussion.
6. My posts (I believe) have become much less deficit-y and much more engaging. 
7. I've introduced references to other blogs and had a post that was in response to another in class blog. By keeping up on what other bloggers have posted, my posts aren't just recycling theirs. I'm adding new information and my own input.

In addition to these improvements, I've continued with the multimedia content, and have actually done significantly more since my first evaluation. I frequently comment on others blogs, at least 5 per week.

All in all, I still consider my blog to be deserving an A, but I think I've improved vastly since my first evaluation and have responded well to the instruction I've been receiving in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment