Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cold Fusion Followup.

So, not much has been posted recently about it, but there are a few updates. This site seems kinda shady to me, just from the layout, but they've been giving updates on the situation. So what's new?


Looks like there's an upcoming test in the US. Of course, the device will still be kept under wraps until he is successfully able to file for a patent (his first attempt failed.). Hopefully this will allow scientists in the US to witness this device actually producing power. We'll see.

A one megawatt reactor is being constructed in Greece. From Free Energy Times, it looks like the start up date for this reactor is in October. A 1 MW reactor by October? I'm rather skeptical, but if this pans out, this could really change things.

Currently, a one year study on the reactor is being performed at the University of Bologna in Italy. The goal of this research is to better explain the theory behind the reactor.

Finally, I'd like to point out that they are trying to stay away from the term Cold Fusion for obvious reasons. Instead, they've been calling it LENR (low energy nuclear reactions) or chemically catalyzed nuclear reactions. Rossi has been documenting his reactor very well (as well as he really can whilst still keeping it secret...) on his blog, the Journal of Nuclear Physics (Not a peer reviewed journal; moderate skepticism is necessary; take what it says lightly please!)

3 comments:

  1. Dan, I don't buy it for a second. It just seems that the possibility of cold fusion gets people all excited and people tend to want to believe it is going to happen. On the other hand, I can't see them building a 1MW reactor in that short of time. I mean, that is a fairly large research type reactor. To give you an idea, the one at the Federal Center here in Denver is 1MW as well. It is an interesting subject, but I don't think efficient cold fusion will ever exist. I only hope I am wrong, but right now fission is the way to go. They will also be starting up the fusion reactor in France soon, but I don't hold high hopes for that either. As they have been saying: "Fusion is the power of the future, and always will be!" I tend to fall in this category.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as your comment about time frames...

    Their claimed 15 kW reactor is a table-top device, so assuming their claim is true, I could see the 1 MW reactor being legit. (They've been building it, they didn't JUST start.)

    I'm definitely skeptical, but the fact that they are pursuing this is intriguing. I'm hoping the US test will draw some conclusions - either for or against.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think we have to watch it and just see what happens. It does send off some red flags that the Americans and Chinese aren't in there hot and heavy, but perhaps the skepticism is just too great. Thanks for the updates, and keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete