Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Schrödinger's Cat

This is certainly a well known topic in quantum mechanics, but I feel like very few people understand it. I certainly don't claim to be an expert in the subject, but in this post I'm going to discuss what the Schrodinger's cat thought experiment means.

The original thought experiment was devised by Erwin Schrodinger to address a particular interpretation of quantum mechanics. In the early days, people did not like the idea that something could be in a superposition of possibilities, but the more experiments done, the more this seems to correspond to reality. Without further ado, I give you my explanation of the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment.


There you have it. I will likely address this topic again (I will certainly discuss the many different interpretations of quantum mechanics in the future.). What do you think? Is the world really like this? Why/Why not?

1 comment:

  1. This is a great explanation of the thought experiment, and the captions are great. Best moment is when Mu jumps the heck out of that box (didn't eat the poison, all of qm SOLVED).

    ReplyDelete